’87 Grey St – A Lotta History’ painting
’87 Grey St – A Lotta History’ tells this history of the lot that The Design Bank is situated. From 1917 – 1925 the building on this site, The Pike Building, was leased to the South Brisbane City Council and during this time the Chief Protector of Aboriginals office was housed here. In 1925 the buildings along Melbourne St. were knocked down to expand the road, leading to the re-subdivision of the lot and the eventual construction of the National Bank and the Commonwealth Bank (Design Bank) buildings. Since the closure of the Commonwealth Bank on this site, the building has been home to a number of businesses. Three of these are now Indigenous owned and operated businesses, Blaklash Creative, Aboriginal Art Co. and Magpie Goose. From being a place where the future of Indigenous communities was being planned, to a place where the future of Indigenous communities is being lived.